Saturday, May 8, 2010

Appomattox Court House



About two weeks ago I went to Appomattox Court House in Virginia, the place of the Confederate surrender by General Robert E. Lee the commander of the Army of Northern Virginia. This is one of the most important places in American History because it signaled the end of the War Between the States when General Lee met with Union General Ulysses S. Grant. There was a museum on the historical park filled with artifacts and paintings of the courthouse and the generals that met that day. I walked the courtyard in the very place that General Lee rode in, on his famed horse Traveler, full of sorrow because he knew he must surrender.
Right as I stepped foot on the grounds of the park I felt the amazing history come over me. It was an amazing experience because I knew the importance of the Courthouse to American history and the impact of the event that took place there. The courthouse brought an end to a War that had the most impact on the United States as we know it. Without the courthouse we would be a divided nation and no longer be united.

1 comment: